Our work is of 3 types
1 Standalone employment advice to employer clients
We advise our corporate clients on employment issues of all type, working with them to mitigate employment law risk. In particular, we:
- invest time in getting to know our clients and understand their business;
- provide proactive, responsive and commercial advice;
- work with our clients to achieve their commercial objectives
We advise employers in all sectors but have particular experience of working with banks and other financial service businesses, venture capital, investors and their investee entities and in sectors such as technology and recruitment.
Issues on which we frequently advise include:
- contract and handbook drafting and review;
- dealing with disciplinary issues;
- responding to grievances;
- agreeing termination and negotiation of settlement agreements;
- restructures and redundancy processes;
- executive exits;
- restrictive covenant enforcement;
- TUPE issues;
- defending employment claims.
We provide share option and employee incentive advice for corporate employer clients including, in particular, venture capital investee clients.
We devise and deliver bespoke employment law training of various types including training to clients’ in-house legal functions and programmes such as dignity at work training for senior managers and other employees.
2 Employment advice as part of corporate transactions
We work with our corporate colleagues as part of a team on corporate transactions. We identify and highlight any material employment law risks and assist in mitigating those risks through negotiation of appropriate indemnities, warranties and other provisions. This frequently involves negotiation and drafting of service agreements, non-executive appointment letters and consultancy agreements.
We also support our venture capital investor clients through offering employment law training to their investee companies.
3 Advice and support to employees
We advise and assist senior individuals on their employment position, providing strategic advice, as appropriate, in resolving any issues with their employer, negotiating appropriate exit terms or advising on covenant and other obligations.
What we are currently busy with
Currently, in conjunction with our commercial team, we are advising many clients on getting ready for the new IR35 “off payroll” rules which will apply from April 2020.
We have seen an increase in Employment Tribunal claims and we are currently assisting a number of employer clients in defending claims.
We are working with clients on:
- dignity at work issues,
- devising and delivering bespoke training,
- responding to the FCA’s increasing focus on culture and non-financial misconduct.
- Advising a computer games company on a major restructuring and redundancy programme
- Acting for a training organisation in relation to whistleblowing issues
- Acting for an overseas organisation in relation to discrimination issues
- Advising a new media company on the termination of arrangements with its founder
- Acting for a financial services company on the establishment of a long term incentive scheme