Marriott Harrison LLP continues to increase its international offering, focusing on key jurisdictions across all of its departments. Below are some recent examples of Marriott Harrison LLP’s international work:
The Corporate Department continues to advise on a large number of international transactions. This includes acting for:
- a Qatari investment fund on various educational holdings and investments in the UK;
- an international stadia group on its deal for the provision of ticketing and catering services to a well-known Spanish football club;
- a South American Aeronautical Commission in Europe in relation to a number of its contractual arrangements;
- a South American Embassy and Consulate General on various commercial matters;
- an Irish IT/technology company in connection with a further fundraising from existing equity providers and other shareholders and in connection with a new facility and security arrangements with a London branch of a US bank;
- a UK gaming company in its new revolving credit and term loan facility with a London branch of US bank with warrants to subscribe for stock in its US parent;
- a nominated adviser and broker in its role as nomad and broker to a resource company which undertook a placing and open offer to fund capital expenditure to restart mining activities in Tanzania;
- a Nigerian based goods manufacturer, on its contractual arrangements with various multinational drinks companies;
- a US fund management client on the providing of legal opinions to a Greek Bank in connection with its credit facility agreements;
- a Danish client on the re-structuring of its UK subsidiaries;
- a cornerstone American investor on its new venture in the sports and leisure industry;
- an American software services provider, as the company’s UK Counsel, in relation to the acquisition of a UK software solutions provider in the media industry;
- a corporate vehicle issuing bonds, the proceeds of which include investment in international commercial property;
- certain managers of an operating company in relation to a farm-out agreement relating to certain natural resource assets based off the coast of South Africa; and
- a major shareholder on the group demerger of an executive search business with offices in the UK, US and Hong Kong.
Media and Technology
The Media and Technology Department has advised:
- a music label on various royalty and moral rights issues in a number of European territories;
- a New York based import/export business on trading issues in the UK;
- a Toronto based heavy metal band, on its recording and publishing deal;
- long-standing film production client on its international distribution of films;
- a Swiss based financial services company in connection with the online promotion of its brand;
- an Israeli based online TV platform on its content licensing arrangements with UK based archives;
- a Dutch based music publisher on copyright issues in the UK; and
- a manufacturer of sporting equipment on various competition rules with regard to the exploitation of its products in Europe.
Tony Morris also acted as an arbitrator on:
- a dispute between Hollywood Studios and a European film distributor; and
- a dispute between two international technology providers on a claim for misuse of confidential information and trade secrets.
MH Dispute Resolution has been:
- advising an internet search optimisation specialist in a claim against a Guernsey-based supplier of products via the internet;
- advising a major Far East commodities trading company in connection with (i) a dispute relating to its exclusive distributor of Russian sourced metals; (ii) losses suffered by it on the purchase of exotic metals contaminated with asbestos;
- advising South American government entities in connection with issues relating to the service on them of High Court proceedings; and
- advising in connection with claims advanced against a client in connection with contracts for the building of stadia for the 2014 World Cup.
The MH Real Estate Department has continued to act for:
- a Malaysian Bank based in Kuala Lumpur, on its ongoing secured lending transactions in the UK.
The MH Employment Department has:
- advised both individual and corporate clients based in Italy, Russia and Kazakhstan on a wide range of employment matters; and
- continued to advise the Brazilian Embassy on a number of contentious and non-contentious matters.
Conferences and Events
In October 2013, Duncan Innes, Andrew Wigfall and Peter Curnock attended the International Bar Association conference in Boston, the world’s largest meeting of lawyers.
In October 2013, Hugh Gardner attended the UKIBC event “in conversation with” Patricia Hewitt and the panel session for the City of London Advisory Council for India.
In February 2014, Tony Morris attended MIDEM 2014 and presented a panel on the topic of user generated content.