Marriott Harrison LLP continues to increase its international offering, focusing on key jurisdictions across all of its departments. Below are some recent examples of Marriott Harrison LLP’s international work.
The Corporate Department continues to advise on a large number of international transactions. This includes acting for:
- a Cyprus based company entering into a joint venture agreement with a US private equity fund to develop real estate opportunities in South East England;
- the London subsidiary of a Brazilian designer label, on various corporate and intellectual property issues;
- a domicillary care provider on the acquisition of a Northern Ireland based business;
- two private equity institutions on their co-financing of an investment in a Jersey entity formed to invest in US mining assets;
- a private equity institution on its proposed investment in natural resource assets located off the coast of North Africa;
- a UK restaurant group on its new financing arrangements with a UK clearing bank and deep discounted debt from the BVI;
- a New York based founder of a new concept restaurant based in Soho, London with shareholder arrangements structured through a Luxembourg joint venture company;
- an English IT/telecoms company on its equity and debt fundraising with investment from the US and Israel; and
- ongoing refinancing arrangements of Jersey-based property holding companies.
MH Dispute Resolution has acted on the following matters:
- an injunction for a BVI company to restrain a transfer of funds advising a South American government entity on liability by a third party in respect of loss of and damage to property;
- a claim by a Spanish company to compel the delivery up of film materials held to the order of an Irish company;
- a claim against a Dutch resident with interests in a UK entity and its rights to develop assets in Central and Eastern Europe; and
- advising a US celebrity in respect of a false product endorsement.
MH Media & Technology
The Media and Technology Department has advised:
- Girl Hub, a joint initiative of Nike Foundation and the Department for International Development (DFID). Girl Hub is rolling out a number of social awareness programmes in Africa, the first of which is centered in Ethiopia. Empowering young women through music and drama is the theme. Tony Morris has been advising on the legal structure of various production arrangements and contracts in conjunction with local Ethiopian lawyers;
- on a number of international recording licences with the US, Canada and Europe;
- Executive Interviews, the global recording, repackaging and rights distribution company, on a series of distribution contracts with the US; and
- overseas creditors on their position with regards to the decision by controversial ticketing company, Viagogo, to move its operation overseas and liquidate the UK operating company.
The MH Real Estate Department has acted for:
- the Federative Republic of Brazil on the purchase of a new Embassy in Trafalgar Square and the disposal of their old Embassy.
Conferences and Events
Tony Morris and Jonathan Leigh-Hunt attended the Cannes Film Festival in May where they were invited to the screening of client Carnaby Films’ “The Wee Man” for which they had provided legal services.
Tony Morris, Jonathan Pearce and Duncan Innes went to Boston and New York on a business trip in June where they were engaged in a series of meetings with clients and contacts.